- 07 Oct 2022
- 3 Minutes to read
Upgrading Decisions (v6 to v8)
- Updated on 07 Oct 2022
- 3 Minutes to read
- The change to .NET Core architecture requires an "uninstall" of v6 ahead of installing v8.
- Running v6 and v8 with the same database is NOT supported.
- Upon upgrading to v8, downgrading back to v6 is NOT supported.
- Projects using XML/XSD Data Structures may require remapping on upgrade.
- v6 custom Less files are not supported for use in v8.
- v8 Web Service Integrations requires the installation of the .NET Core 6.0 SDK and a machine restart for proper configuration.
- Label components that use HTML will break when upgrading due to changes included in DT-029205. To resolve this, use the HTML Display component.
- SSO endpoints were modified between v6 and v8. While v6 endpoints still function, the recommended endpoints have changed.
- The following article focuses on a Standard v6 server installation.
- For upgrades to 8.5
As part of the change included for the DT-035693, the storage location for LESS files will be moved. This will cause custom LESS files to be lost upon upgrading. It is recommended that users create a backup of any custom LESS files that were created.
Changes that were made using the Theme Editor will persist upon upgrading.
- ALL custom libraries will need to be recompiled for .NET Core
- Custom assemblies will need to be re-written
- Modules may require design refactoring or downloading newer versions
Warning on Settings.xml
Pre Installation Backups and Version 6 Removal
- Backup the Database (DB), noting the DB Server and DB name (or connection string).
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\Decisions\Decisions Service Manager.
- Copy and paste the Settings.xml file to the Desktop.
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\Decisions\Decisions Service Manager\Instances\Control.
- Copy and paste the Keys.dat file to the Desktop.
- Navigate to and backup C:\Program Files\Decisions\FileStorage.
Then reference the v6 Settings.xml file, copied above, to re-configure the exact path later in the v8 Installer.
- Visit Download Decisions; select the Decisions 6 Installer that matches the current version (ex: 6.10.0)
- Run DecisionsServerInstaller.exe. Then, click REMOVE.
Version 8 Downloads, Select Installation Type, and Database Setup
After removing v6,
- Download and install .NET 6 Runtime (x64), .NET Core Hosting Bundle and .NET Desktop Runtime.
- Download the desired Decisions 8 Installer from the Download Decisions webpage.
- Right-click the newly downloaded installer and select Run as administrator.
- Click INSTALL.
- Review the terms, check the I accept the terms of the License Agreement box, then click Next to proceed.
- On the Select Installation Type window, make the appropriate license choice, then click Next.Additional OptionsTo further customize all installation options, check the Show Advanced Settings box.
- Upon reaching the Settings screen, click Next.
On the resulting Database Setup screen, select the appropriate Database Type, match the Connection Type and Connection Settings used for v6, then click Next.
- Select the appropriate Installer Hosting Option, then click Next.
Typically the recommended option is Self Hosting.
Portal Base URL
The following section demonstrates how to set up the Portal Base URL for the Decisions environment for both Hosting Options.
- Specify the Portal Base URL used in v6 within the Domain Name (ex: example.com) field.
- Select the desired HTTP/HTTPS configuration, along with the Certificate path and Password if applicable, then click Next.Default Port Values and CertificateNote that Local installations default to localhost with HTTP (Port: 80) or HTTPS (Port: 443).
Certificates may be selected via Physical File Path or Certificate Store.
The following section details how to set up Decisions via IIS Hosting using the Default Web Site.
- Provide the Portal Base URL used in v6, then click Next.
- From the Web Application window, under Application Pool, click Create new. Then, click Next. Preexisting App PoolIf an Application Pool with the same name already exists, use IIS Manager to change the .NET CLR version No Managed Code.
- Select the Outbound E-mail Server option previously used in v6, then click Next.
- If database encryption was previously used, click Restore Key File to upload the copied v6 Keys.dat, then click Next.
- Define the v8File Storage location, then click Next.
- Review and correct any System Requirements warnings before clicking Next.
- Via the Review Install Options screen, confirm the expected installation summary details, then click Next.
- Installation of v8 is underway.
- Click Show Details to see the installation progress.
- When the upgrade completes, click Finish to close the Installation Finished window.
- Attempt to login to the new upgrade Decisions environment using the admin Username and Password.