- 17 Jun 2022
- 2 Minutes to read
Importing and Exporting Projects
- Updated on 17 Jun 2022
- 2 Minutes to read
Items in a Designer Project such as Designer Element, Folders, Tasks, etc. can be imported into another environment. These elements are exported as Decisions object (.decObj) files within a .zip file
Administrators may utilize the Import/Export Settings to adjust which items are included or excluded from Import/Export actions to prevent slow import times.
When a Project or Application moves from one environment to another, management shifts from one Administrator to the other. Account privileges should be monitored so that the appropriate Accounts are given Administrator access.
Please note that large project size, various entity locations, complex data structures, or other various configurations can cause errors or affect the entire import/export process as a whole.
There are no timeout/file size limits on imports that may cause errors when importing a file or project.
When importing between different versions, certain features may require further attention to import correctly. Please keep this in mind when managing your Projects across environments. Refer to our Import Resolutions article for further details.
The following example imports the provided example project file in a instance. Feel free to download this example to follow while reading along.
This example file contains an exported Designer Folder with several .decObj files for a Flow, Form, Report, and Rule.
- From the Designer Studio, right-click any Designer Project and select Import/Export > Import.
The Action Menu does not need to be specific to a folder for the import; on completion of the Import, the Project will have its own Folder.
- Either select CHOOSE FILE to designate a file for import, or click and drag in a file from the file explorer into the Drag file here field. Then, click IMPORT.
- Designate each desired item for import by toggling the checkbox beside each NAME in the Import Summary Report. Then, click COMPLETE IMPORT.
If there is an issue with one of the items during import, this report will help resolve these issues before importing.
- Click OK to confirm that items were imported successfully.
- Right-click a Designer Project and navigate to Import/Export > Export.
- From the Select Project window, Enter a New Project Name, then click CONTINUE.
The Select Project window assigns the item to a preexisting Project or allows users to create a new Project to assign the item to before export.
- From the Export window, select Project with Dependencies and then CONTINUE.
Users may choose from one of three download options during export.
- Project with Dependencies: Downloads the entire Project with all its Dependencies
- Project: Downloads the Project.
- This Folder: Downloads just the Folder without the rest of its attached Project.
If desired, users have the option to configure their Export further via Advanced Options. These options allow the user to include Hidden Folders, Sub Folders, or History Folders in desired.
- In the next window, toggle which object will be exported via the Select Items checkboxes, then click EXPORT.
Single items can be exported as opposed to the entire project by selecting the Import/Export option from its action menu menu and then select Export.
- Click the DOWNLOAD button. This downloads the Project as a .zip file. Unzipping the file reveals each separate item as a .decObj file.