- 10 Mar 2022
- 2 Minutes to read
Using Data Flow In a Form
- Updated on 10 Mar 2022
- 2 Minutes to read
It is not recommended to introduce these features to new projects. Support for these features have been maintained just to grant time for projects to shift away from legacy content towards the new preferred method: Active Form Flows.
Failure to do so may result in losing work involving legacy content in the future.
Data Flows allow user to execute Flow logic and push data back into the Form.
These can be triggered automatically or run based on user interaction. For example, a control's value may change based on the user inputs of a different control.
The following example Data Flow converts a String input dates such as month, day, and year from a TextBox to a Date that then appears in a Date Picker.
- In a Designer Folder, create a Flow. It will automatically open in the Flow Designer.
- After the Start step, add a Show Form step from the Favorite Steps category and create a new Form. It will automatically open in the Form Designer.
- Add the following controls to the Form: one Button (Done), two Labels (Date as String, Date From String), one Text Box (Date as String), and finally one Date Time Picker (Date From String).
- Open the Form's Properties panel to navigate to the FORM RULES section. Expand Legacy then select ADD next to Data Flows.
- The Add Data Flows dialog will appear. Name the Flow Data then select PICK OR CREATE FLOW to create a new Data Flow.
- For the Data Flow, add the Convert String to Date step after the Start step. Connect it to the End step.
- Select the Start step. In the Properties panel, under Flow Inputs, select SHOW EDITOR.
- In the Data Definitions dialog, type DateAsString and leave the Type as String. Select CLOSE to save and close.
- Select the Convert String to Date step in the workspace. Under Inputs > String to Convert, select Pick and choose Date As String. Select DONE.
Notice under the Outputs section, the mapping type is set to Rename, and the Name is Converted Date.
- Select the End step, under Data > Pick From Current Data select Converted Date.
- Save and close the Data Flow.
- In the Add Data Flows dialog, select UPDATE INPUTS.
- Under Flow Inputs, select the pencil icon next to DateAsString. Change the Input Type to Form Control. Under Form Data Name, select the Date as String Textbox. Select OK.
- Under Flow Outputs, select the pencil icon next to Flow: Converted Date. Select Refresh all the components listening to this data name. Select OK.
- In the Add Data Flows dialog, select OK.
- In the Form, select the Date Time Picker. In the Properties panel, navigate to Common Properties > Data Name and select PICK FROM DATA.
- In the Pick Data dialog, choose Flow: Converted Date, select PICK.
- Save and Close the Form Designer.
- In the Flow Designer, select Debug on the top panel.
- Select the START DEBUGGING.
- The Form will appear allowing users to type a date. The Date As String date picker will automatically change on based on the user's date value in the Textbox.