- 08 Jun 2022
- 3 Minutes to read
Upgrading a v6 Multi-Tenancy to v8
- Updated on 08 Jun 2022
- 3 Minutes to read
Administrators that previously used a v6 Multi-Tenancy may upgrade to a an updated v8 Multi-Tenant environment via the process below.
This offers both the Control Instance and its subsequent Tenant Instances the benefit of using an updated interface and additional functions such as Tenant Provisioning.
Back up Instances
- From the Local File System, create a folder for holding each 6x Instance Backup.
- Copy and Paste the Settings.xml file from C:\Program Files\Decisions\Decisions Services Manager (or the location of the v6 Installation) into the Backup folder.
From C:\Program Files\Decisions\Decisions Services Manager\Instances, copy and paste Key.dat and Portalpublickey for each respective Instance (Control and all Tenants) into the Backup location.
- Record the names of the exact values for all Database Names (note, these are case sensitive) associated with the Instances in a .txt file in the Backup location.
- Open and login to My SQL Server Management Studio. right-click the database in the Object Explorer for the Control instance, then select Tasks > Back Up.
- From Back Up Database, set Backup type to Full.
If no Backup Destination is present, select Add... and define a location in the Select Backup Destination window.
Then, click OK and OK once more to back up the Database.
- Once back up is complete, navigate to the designated Destinations on disk location for the Backup, and Copy and Paste each .bak file into the previously created Backup location.
- Repeat the process as needed for each Instance.
After backing up each 6x Instance:
- Open Services.exe and verify that Server Host Manager, Server Host Manager Watcher, and Service Host Manager [INSTANCE NAME FOR EACH INSTANCE] are started and running.
- If all the previously stated Services are running, run DecisionsServerInstaller.exe for v6, and select REMOVE.
- After v6 is removed, Delete the Installer and the downloaded folder that contains DecisionsServer.msi.
The following sections demonstrate how to install v8 for both the Control and Tenant Instances.
- After backing up the databases and removing 6x, download the v8 Installer from Download Decisions.
- Download and install .NET CORE 6.0 Runtime x64 as well as the Hosting Bundle.Additional Configuration for IISIf installing with IIS Hosting, WebSocket protocol must be set up via WindowsServer for the same IIS database that was used for the original Control Instance.
- Open the newly downloaded DecisionsServerInstaller.exe. file; from the Decisions Installer, select the INSTALL button.
- Toggle the I accept the terms of the License Agreement box, then click Next.
- From Select Installation Type, select Multi-Tenancy Server (Control), and click Next.
- Proceed with through the installation process up to the Database Setup window; from here, ensure that the database information (Type, Server, Database, and Connection Settings) match the exact settings for the previously used v6 database. Then, click Next.
- Continue the installation to the Control Server Setup page, and provide an Instance Name.
- Continue to the Encryption Keys screen, select Restore Key File, and locate the Key.dat file for the Control Instance from the previously created Backup location.
- From the File Storage window, ensure that the File Storage Path references the original File Storage location, then click Next.
- Continue the installation; while v8 installs, proceed to the Tenant Instance instructions.
While the Control Instance installs:
- Open and log into MSSQL Server Management Studio.
From the Object Explorer, right-click the Databases folder and select Restore Database.
- From the Restore Database window, set the Source to Device. Then, select the ellipses button beside the newly selected option.
- From the Select backup devices window, click Add, and locate the .bak file for the respective Tenant Instance in the previously created Backup folder. Then, click OK.
- Under Restore plan > Backup sets to restore: check the Restore box for the added database, then click OK.
Repeat steps 1-5 as needed for each Tenant Instance.
Login to the Control Instance's Decisions Studio. Then, navigate to System > Hosting.
From the Hosting Folder, right-click the desired Tenant Instance and select Edit Instance.
From the Modify the instance window, copy the Authentication Key in a blank Text Editor for future reference.
From the same window, provide the desired Instance URL that will be used during installation, then click OK.
Navigate back to the Local File System of the Tenant Instance.
- IIS ConfigurationIf the updated installation uses IIS, WebSocket protocol must be established via Windows Server for the same IIS database that was used for the original Tenant Instance.
If the installation is Self Hosted, turn off IIS.
- Run DecisionsServerInstaller.exe and select the INSTALL button.
From the Select Installation Type window, select Multi-Tenancy Server (Tenant), then click Next.
From the Database Setup screen, provide the respective Database Type, Connection Settings, and Connection Type configurations; ensure that the DB Database value matches the restored 6x database, then, click Next.
Continue the installation and proceed to the Portal Base Url screen. From this screen, provide the Tenant Instance URL as it was defined in the Control Instance; then, click Next.
From the Tenant Server Setup screen, match the Instance Name to the name defined in the Control Instance. Then, provide the Control Instance URL as well as the copied Instance Authentication Key and click Next.
Proceed with configuration until the Encryption Keys screen is reached, click Restore Key File, and select the Key.dat file for the Tenant Instance from the Backup folder. Then, click Next.
Define a File Storage location (typically C:\Program Files\Decisions\FileStorage), then continue and finish the installation process.
From an incognito window, navigate and log into the Decisions Studio from the Base Portal URL of the Tenant Instance with an the Admin Account.