Refreshing Report Data Automatically Based on Portal Events
- Updated on 05 Mar 2019
- 2 minutes to read
The data displayed in the Report Viewer or chart can be configured to refresh on one type of event or multiple types of portal events. The events include any folder changes, changes to an entity contained on the report, changes to the current folder, or changes to the Folders tree.
The report will refresh when a user is viewing the report.
To make reports refresh on a portal event, in the Page Designer , in the Properties Panel , select a checkbox in the Control Settings section.
The goal of this example is to:
- Create a portal page.
- Add a Report Viewer to the page.
- Configure the report to refresh when the current folder changes.
To begin, navigate to a Designer Folder and click the Create Page/Dashboard button.
Give the page a name and click Ok to open it in the Page Designer .
First, add an existing report to the page by going to the Properties Tab , and expand the category Report > [Existing Report] > [Current Folder] > Report: Folder Report and dragReport Viewer component to the workspace.
In the Properties Panel , in the Behavior > Refresh section, select the desired Refresh setting checkbox. By default, report data refresh is not set to update on any Portal events. Be careful to avoid too many updates based on events in high transaction systems. Using the Auto Refresh option (time-based) is recommended to avoid a high volume of processing that can burden the system.
- Auto Refresh- allows for a time to be specified for refreshing the data on a schedule.
- On Any Folder Change- refreshes the data upon a change detected to any folder that is defined as a data source for the report.
- On Contained Entity Change- refreshes when an entity changes it will update on the report.
- On Current Folder Change – refreshes data upon a change detected to the current folder that is defined as a data source for the report.
- On Tree Change- refreshes the report when the navigation tree part on changing selections, has a refresh interval setting that can be saved.
- Report Update For Folder- refreshes report when a folder is updated or changed.
- Report Key Update For Folder- refreshes when a key has changes and updates and refreshes the folder.
- Report Key Update- refreshes when a key has changes or updates.
This completes the page. Save the page and close the Page Designer .
To view the page and see the report refresh, select the page and select View > Preview Page from its Action menu.
When the page opens. After an update to the current folder occurs, the report refreshes.