- 07 Feb 2023
- 2 Minutes to read
Upgrading Decisions (v7 to v8)
- Updated on 07 Feb 2023
- 2 Minutes to read
- Running v7 and v8 with the same database is NOT supported.
- Upon upgrading to v8, downgrading back to v7 is NOT supported.
- v8 Web Service Integrations requires the installation of the .NET Core 6.0 SDK and a machine restart for proper configuration.
- Upgrading clustered environments requires deploying a Redis server for external caching. Refer to Redis External Caching for more information on deploying and configuring a Redis Server.
- For upgrades to 8.5 and newer versions:
- As part of the change included for the DT-035693, the storage location for LESS files will be moved. This will cause custom LESS files to be lost upon upgrading. It is recommended that users create a backup of any custom LESS files that were created.
- Changes that were made using the Theme Editor will persist upon upgrading.
The following article provides instructions for upgrading from Version 7 to Version 8 as well as troubleshooting any potential upgrading issues.
Backing up the Previous Installation
It is highly recommended to backup the v7 installation along with its affiliated database before attempting to upgrade.
While it cannot be used as a substitute for v8's Settings.xml, the v7 Settings.xml is a valuable reference to ensure the necessary variable match when upgrading.
- Back up the Database noting the DB Server and DB name (or Connection String).
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\Decisions\Decisions Server, and copy and paste the Settings.xml file into the desired location.
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\Decisions\Decisions Server\Instances\Control.
- Copy and paste the Keys.dat file to the desired location .
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\Decisions\FileStorage.
- Backup the FileStorage Folder and reference the v7 Settings.xml file, copied above, to re-configure the exact path later in the v8 Installer.
Downloads, Selecting Installation Type, and Database Setup
- Fulfill all v8 Prerequisites before beginning installation.
- Download the Decisions 8 Installer from Download Decisions webpage.
- Right-click the installer then select Run as Administrator.
- From the Decisions Installer, enable Change Settings on Update then click UPDATE.
- Review the terms, check the I accept the terms of the License Agreement box, and then click Next to proceed.
- For installation type, select the desired server type. This example chooses a Standard server. Select Next to continue.
- Upon reaching the Settings screen, click Next.
- On the Database Setup screen, select the appropriate Database Type, match the Connection Type and Connection Settings for the new v8 database. Click Next.
- Continue past the Full-Text Warning screen.
Portal Base URL
Set up the Portal Base URL based on the chosen Hosting Option. It is recommended to maintain the same URL in the prior version if possible.
To ensure previously emailed v7 task links resolve correctly, reference the v7 Settings.xml file to configure the matching values during v8 installation.
Email Server, Encryption Keys, and File Storage,
- Select the Outbound E-mail Server option previously used in v7, then click Next.
- If database encryption was used, click Restore Key File to upload the copied v7 Keys.dat, then click Next.
- Define a new v8 File Storage location or select the original one. Then, click Next.
- This ends any upgrade-specific changes from the standard installation. Proceed with the installation as detailed in the Installation Guide.
Manually edited .LESS Conflicts
Direct edits to the custom .less files made outside the Theme Editor may cause errors in the Portal UI.
Upgrading from v7 automatically overrides the .less files, but a conflict file is generated once this error occurs. The conflict file contains the old .less file's information.
To resolve this issue:
- Open the provided conflict file named e.g. "theme.portal.less.conflict" found in the same folder as the .less files.
- Open the .less file associated with the conflict file. Matching the example above, this would be the "theme.portal.less" file.
- Replace each changed value in the .less file with the value shown in the conflict file.
- Restart the Decisions server to apply changes.